Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Oscar (Hut) 10: Worst Snubs

Taking a page out of Kris Tapley's book, here's a rundown of the ten snubs from this morning's announcement that disappoints me most for this year.

10. Inglourious Basterds' Art Direction & Costumes Snubbed.
Despite the excellent work here put in here by David Wasco and IB's costume designer, the two were painfully snubbed despite the excellent work on both ends. What replaced them? In the Art Direction category, Basterds most likely lost it's spot to The Young Victoria, which I have yet to see. On the costume side of things Basterds probably was bested by Coco Avant Chanel or The Imaginarium of Docter Parnassus.

9. District 9 for Best Makeup.
It is almost too ridiculous to even imagine that the excellent makeup work on District 9 ended up snubbed, and snubbed in favor of The Young Victoria or Il Divo no less. The last time I checked, powdering faces doesnt qualify as a great achievement in makeup. But then again why honor a film that shocked audiences with the most realistic human to alien metamorphosis I've seen on the screen in my lifetime. Oh well, at least District 9 got a Best Picture.

8. The Informant!'s score by Marvin Hamlisch
Because I to be honest, I have no recollection of The Hurt Locker having a musical score, because to be honest The Informant!'s score was one of the most fun and playful series of compositions I have ever heard.

7. Up in The Air for Best Film Editing
I might be alone on this one but I thought Up in The Air's editing was fantastic. The film's pacing was seriously awsome, and the editing contributed to the overall feeling of the film. Precious had great editing, but I feel like Up in The Air's was way better, just my opinion but whatever.

6. Star Trek for Best Picture
There was a point where I thought Star Trek was really going to make it in. When The Blind Side was called followed by Invictus' not, I thought there was something interesting afoot, but I was wrong. Star Trek may have been an entertaining popcorn flick, it also happened to be one of the best and most exciting films of the year. Directed with intensity and just the right dose of mythology, J.J. Abrams' best film to date was the film that re-invigorated the sci-fi genre, it's succsess at the box office leading to simmilar results for District 9 and Avatar.

5. (500) Days of Summer for Best Original Screenplay
Though it was replaced by a deserving nominee, Oren Moverman's The Messenger, (500) Days of Summer's screenplay was one of a few of the year's seemingly locked nominees along with Waltz, Mo'Nique and The Hurt Locker. It was original, fun, whimsically romantic and inventive, but it wasnt good enough to make the cut for some reason.

4. Melanie Laurent & Diane Kruger for Best Supporting Actress
They were both fantastic and both had a decent to good chance of making the cut due to weak competition other than Mo'nique, farmiga or Kendrick. Cruz shouldnt have gotten the nod for mumbling through the best song of the musical and Gyllenhaal's nomination, while a pleasent suprise, should have went to Laurent.

3. Where The Wild Things Are for Best Cinematography
Lance accord's lensing was inventive, dynamic and wild, too bad the movie didnt catch on at all with anyone, it featured awsome direction, costumes, art direction and a great supporting turn from James Gandolfini. Spike Jonze is 3 for 3, in case you havent been counting.

2. Adam Sandler for Best Actor
I named Sandler's lead performance in Judd Apatow's Funny People as the best of the year and his career in the site's awards, and I did it for a reason. You have never seen Sandler like this before. Putting a spin on his image, Sandler revives his career with one of the year's rawest, most intimate portrayals of an artist. I know this hasn't been a possibility since the summer, but if Tommy Lee Jones could pull one out for a movie nobody saw two years ago, then I felt like Sandler's chances were about the same. Oh well...

1. Anthony Mackie for Best Supporting Actor
Anthony Mackie's performance in The Hurt Locker was one that didn't truly resonate with me. I saw the film when it was released nearly 8 months ago at my local theatre and I enjoyed it thouroughly, but Mackie wasnt the source of that enjoyment. Over time I began to realize what an acomplishment the performance was. Renner may have been the star of the movie, but Mackie's cautious war ravaged worrier was the driving power behind the film's ensemble. Watching it again last week confirmed this and I nervously hoped that he would be remembered but he wasnt, and in favor of Matt Damon and or Christopher Plummer.

No comments: