Thursday, June 4, 2009

10 Movies That...Made me Cry

To kick off a new summer series, 10 Movies That..., I'm going to start with one that is very easy for me to define. For anyone that has read this blog in the past, you know how hard it is for a movie to make me cry, the only one so far this year that has gotten me close was Pixar's Up, so, after reading Entertainment Weekly's list, I've decided to get in touch with my sensitive side.......



1. Angels In America- Despite the cheat that this is a miniseries, Angels In America was one of the few times in my life that I actually cried during a movie that couldn't be farther, connections wise, from my own life. It was a movie set in New York of the 80's that dealt heavily with homosexuality, aids and the absence of god. Despite this alienation, I first felt the tears begin to form around 5 minutes in when Prior tells Louis about his AIDS. Then I felt it again and again throughout before finally letting loose. Angels remains a favorite of mine.



2. Bang The Drum Slowly- I first saw Bang The Drum Slowly at a time in my life when I went through the filmographies of my favorite directors and actors, this time being DeNiro. Much like Brian's Song, it is a movie that creeps up on you before slamming you into the ground with a heartbreaking climax or end. For me when DeNiro tells Michael Moriarty goodbye at the film's end, it's like a dam breaks and the tears flow freely, I cant even watch it with anyone else.



3. Finding Nemo- Like most of Pixar's movies, Up included, Finding Nemo was a fun joyous ride that combined elements of adventure, humor and surprise to make for a great viewing experience. The first time I saw it, with my first girlfriend about 6 years ago when it had just came out, I was loving it. Then came the ending when Marlon finally reconnects with Nemo. Tears of joy welled up in my eyes, but thankfully went unnoticed as the girl I was with was also tearing up.



4. Good Will Hunting- Definitely not a sad movie, but one that sucker punches you when you least expect it. The scene near the end, when Will and Sean are finishing up their last session was that punch to the gut. Williams repeats: "Will, its not your fault" over and over again until Damon finally breaks and starts to cry, as did I.



5. Million Dollar Baby- Only around three or four times in my life have I ever seen my father cry. Twice at funerals, and during Million Dollar Baby. The last hospital scene, is hands down one which probably can make any grown man tear up. Morgan Freeman's narration, Eastwood's score, and the exchange between Hilary Swank and Clint, when combined is devastating. My father and I cried like babies on cue with Eastwood's last words to Swanks before assisting her in suicide. Still one of the few repeat offenders for me, I cry every time.


6. Rudy- An underdog story about never giving up when the times get tough, and accomplishing what you set out to do in the end. This description can match any number of films, but for me Rudy is the penultimate under dog story. This is another one that makes men decades older than I cry, and I cant say that I'm not right there with them tearing up.




7. Saving Private Ryan- Giovanni Ribisi is the only reason that I have ever cried during this war film. It's graphically bloody and masculine, yet Ribisi is so unsettling in two of his scenes that every few times I see this, I weep. The first scene takes place in a church, and sees the men recalling their lives at home. When Ribisi talks about pretending to be sleeping when his mom just wants to talk to him, he sets up my tear ducts for the later scene in which he dies calling out for his mother. It is heart wrenching and tragic, and had me bawling the first time I saw it.




8. Schindler's List- Theres not much to say. If you've seen the movie you know why it's here, if you haven't then you need to see it. This is a movie that every human being should see once.




9. The Shawshank Redemption- Shawshank is one of my favorite movies of all time. The direction is wonderful, the acting is amazing, and the screenplay shines as one of the best adaptations ever. There are many reasons to cry during Shawshank, from Andy's escape to Red finally finding Andy to any other number of moments. But what brought about my tears was one scene revolving around one of the minor character's Brooks, superbly played by James Whitmore. Whitmore's narration of the series of events leading to Brooks' suicide has caused me to cry more than anything else from any other movie. It's not something I can explain.




10. Terms of Endearment- This one is simple to explain. When Debra Winger says goodbye to her son is the moment that brought tears to my eyes. I had an aunt who died of cancer, and I can only imagine the last private spoken words between her and my cousins. Just the thought of seeing someone say goodbye for the last time is devastating.



No comments: